Senior Editorial Position
Location: Delhi (Preferably) or Mumbai
Job role and description
- Work closely with the editorial team and the editorial board to develop editorial calendar for upcoming publications, issues, and campaigns
- Actively work on commissioning of articles and stories, including reaching out to potential authors, following up with them on their contributions, build and maintain relationships with all authors, and other various subject-matter experts
- Assign stories to sub-editors and copyeditors for editing
- Assign subjects to in-house staff writers for them to write/report on
- Work closely with the marketing team on developing strategy for each social media channels – Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube
- Make final decisions about which stories, articles, and photographs to publish
- Approving the publication’s layout, design, style, and tone, including the mobile application
- Ensuring all copies follow the standard editorial guidelines, have context, are balanced and clarity and are in line with the editorial strategy
- Ensuring all information in articles and stories has been properly fact checked
- Provide suggestions for edits when needed
- Writing editorial pieces to contribute to the publication, and write weekly wrap-up pieces
- Developing and managing budgets for the editorial team
- Hiring and developing writers and editors
- Closely work with the Executive Director and the business team in developing strategy and implementation of strategy for revenue generation
Eligibility and Qualifications
- An educational degree in law (preferred)
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in legal or policy journalism
- Prior experience in managing a team of sub-editors, copyeditors and staff writers
- Prior experience in handling non-editorial responsibilities, relating to business and operations
The Leaflet is looking for a legal reporter with or without prior experience, preferably in Delhi or Mumbai. The candidate must preferably have a degree in law, and be eligible to secure temporary accreditation to cover proceedings of the Supreme Court or the Delhi High Court. We will expect the reporter to follow the court proceedings in key cases and accurately report them in reader-friendly style. Besides, the reporter should be able to quickly grasp the subject of the judgments uploaded everyday on the Supreme Court’s website, and judge whether they can yield a story on that day, and if so, should be quickly able to write a brief story summing up the findings of the Court, and its reasoning. As and when High Court’s judgments and orders are likely to yield a story, the reporter must be able to report them as well. Familiarity with the reporting and presentation of legal stories is expected. Overall, he or she should be able to complete editorially-assigned writing tasks within stipulated deadlines, and make necessary improvements, if suggested. Besides, the reporter should be able to build good rapport with lawyers, litigants and court staff (for information on administrative issues) and get exclusive bytes in connection with stories which we publish, and get copies of petitions and their submissions to the courts. The reporter should have a nose for news, and follow any Supreme Court and High Court proceedings online, and report on proceedings, if they have the potential to yield stories. The reporter should also be able to interview the litigants and experts in other high-profile matters, apart from stake-holders in any legislation impinging on human rights to write human interest stories, if required.
The AE who we are looking for should be able to generate story ideas on a daily basis, by reading as many newspapers and websites as possible. In particular, he or she should be able to identify off-the-radar stories with potential to develop into headline news in the coming days. The story ideas should be such that the Leaflet team should be able to work on it, and complete within a specified time limit. A case may be made out if a story requires a longer duration for the team to work and bring it to fruition. The AE should actively assist the Editor in planning and contributing to the stories and interact with the rest of the team during the entire duration of the office hours and ensure a constant stream of stories according to the schedule agreed to with the Editor. The copies submitted for uploading must be thoroughly checked for compliance with our style guidelines, besides ensuring readability, consistency and universal journalistic principles. The AE should also be able to rewrite the stories in uploadable format within time constraints, edit the copies and be in touch with the authors for clarifications, and approvals etc. before sending them for uploading. The AE should ideally be a graduate, with a law degree, and a degree in journalism, but others with keen interest in law and the Constitution, even if they are from other disciplines, with excellent writing and editing skills may be considered.
Interested candidates may email their resumes to [email protected].
Executive – Digital Marketing
The Leaflet is looking to recruit an Executive – Digital Marketing. The ideal candidate should have experience working either in the legal, public policy or media sector. He/she should be able to understand the editorial ethos of The Leaflet, and drive digital marketing strategy accordingly.
- The candidate should be familiar with WordPress and will be responsible for uploading of all articles on The Leaflet website.
- The candidate should be familiar with Adobe Photoshop, Canva or other designing software/platforms for designing of posters for The Leaflet’s social media channels.
- The candidate should be familiar in using video editing tools for producing/editing of videos and/or podcasts that The Leaflet may produce.
- The candidates should be acquainted in using all major social media channels – Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. The candidate should be able to pick key ‘marketable’ sections from within important articles and break it down into a series of tweets, Instagram carousel sliders etc; and should generally strategise on improving outreach and following. He/she should also have experience in sponsored posts/ads across various platforms.
- The candidate should be acquainted in using email marketing tools, such as Zoho Campaigns, MailChimp etc, and should be able to design The Leaflet’s daily bulletin and send it out on a scheduled time.
- The candidates shall also prepare a periodical analytics report for the social media and email marketing performance of The Leaflet.
To apply, please write to [email protected]
If you are looking to enrich your experience in an online legal publication platform, then The Leaflet is the right place for you. We want to help young and budding legal writers, social media content creators, communication experts and graphic designers hone their skills. Interning at The Leaflet will be an engaging experience in pitching ideas, writing extensively and creating innovative content, including video content.
To work with us please mail us your resume, a writing sample and a cover letter at [email protected]. Make sure to mention “Internship Application, month/duration and your name” in the subject of your email. Do note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that the internship is considered to be a full-time undertaking and we expect the interns to be available during work hours throughout the duration of the internship. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we will be providing only online/work-from-home internships. Do familiarise yourself with our internship policy to understand the internship experience better.
(Link to Internship Policy)